There is no doubt that SEO is a science. I like to think of it as a complex organism that changes every day.
Here are some helpful tips to get you started:
- Focus on great content, loaded with relevant keywords and key phrases. Include as much real text on your website as possible. Minimise the use of text images.
- Focus on one keyword per page of content. Don’t overload the page with several keywords at once.
- Make sure you have a good “title tag” on every page of your website. Descriptive words work far better than company names.
- Create a “call to action” – convert your traffic to action. Having a million visitors is useless if there is no clear instructions of what to do.
- Include search phrases rather than search keywords. For example “Melbourne textile design” instead of just “design”.
- Use image alt tags which help search engines to catalogue your images, resulting in more hits.
- Search engines value high quality content over high quantity content. Adding new content on a regular basis will boost your search ranking.
- File extensions do not affect SEO – use .html, .htm, .php or whatever else.
- Plan your social media campaign. A well executed social media strategy is invaluable to SEO.